Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Eating Healthy at Home

For many of us foodies, we get into a groove. Displacing me from my schedule throws me off so bad, and whenever I get back home (college home), it takes me awhile to get back into it.
So I've come up with some problems and their solutions to help you with staying on track with your goals and not throwing your body out of whack!
1. My family doesn't eat at the same times I eat back at college.
In college, I eat at 9:30, 12:30, 3:30, and then around 6-6:30. Here at home, I can generally keep that schedule up until dinner. I don't usually eat past 7, and my family won't even start cooking dinner until then.
Solution: This isn't such a big deal. Just eat with your family, but keep portions small. Don't load up your plate, and stay up just a tad bit later to off-set that later dinner.
2. My family doesn't eat as clean as I do.
My family is a half-way eater. They don't eat unhealthy, but they aren't eating clean either. Loads of carbs, loads of red meat, and loads of preservatives. For me, this is a catastrophe and it makes me sad every time I eat. Okay, not really sad, but I do get upset that I'm not seeing more chicken and fresh veggies, etc.
Solution: Work on portion control. Watch what you're eating, and at least make your macros even out. You can do this by using a fitness journal that will calculate it for you (like My Fitness Pal). Also, don't be afraid to go out and pick up your own groceries. Grab some fruits and veggies, and offer to cook dinner once in awhile.
3. Getting back to my old schedule will be tough.
It will be. It's a hard thing to do, moving from a loose schedule to a more rigorous one.
Solution: Don't give up! You've done it once before, so don't let one bump mess up your life. Get back into the groove. Make yourself cook the yummy and healthy things you enjoyed before, but don't forget that it's okay to indulge if you must. If your brain is begging for that cookie and you've drank a glass of water, and you've tried to get away, don't feel bad. Just give in and let it happen and it'll be fine. Getting back on track will take some time, but you can do it.
4. I don't have my workout equipment here.
No equipment? No problem! You don't need to have equipment to have a successful workout.
Solution: Don't be scared to do some body weight exercises. There's hundreds upon hundreds of pins on Pinterest of easy body weight workouts, or you can download the PumpUp App, which will come up with a customized workout for you and what you have. For cardio, you can always jog around the block.
Being at home can be relaxing and amazing, but also a little stressful. Don't worry about it! Relax and enjoy what's going on. Watch portions, get plenty of sleep and drink your water and green tea.

Enjoy your break!
xo - Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment